Deer for hunting (copy)

Opportunities for deer hunting continue through October, along with a number of additional hunting seasons opening this month.

Additional Delaware hunting seasons are set to open in October, including snow goose, duck, other migratory bird and firearm deer seasons, as well as the one-day, youth-only waterfowl hunt on Saturday, Oct. 16, DNREC officials announced.

Deer hunting is allowed on all Sundays through Jan. 31, 2022, using only those hunting methods legal for the respective established deer hunting seasons, with additional information available at

Hunting season dates opening in October:

  • Snow goose — through Jan. 31, 2022, and Feb. 5, 2022;
  • Antlerless deer —Oct. 18, Oct. 22-25, and Oct. 29-31, including Sundays;
  • Muzzleloader deer — Oct. 8-17, including Sundays;
  • Youth Waterfowl Hunt — Oct. 16; and
  • Ducks, coots and mergansers — first season split, Oct. 22 through Nov. 1.

Continuing hunting seasons include:

  • Moorhen, gallinule, sora, Virginia rail, king rail and clapper rail — through Nov. 24;
  • Common snipe — through Nov. 27;
  • Archery and crossbow deer — through Jan. 31, 2022, including all Sundays;
  • Gray squirrel — through Feb. 5, 2022 (closed during November shotgun deer season);
  • Coyote — through Feb. 28, 2022;
  • Crows — through March 26, 2022 (Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays only); and
  • Groundhog — through June 30, 2022.

DNREC’s fish and wildlife division offers many hunting opportunities on state wildlife areas. For more information, visit

A Delaware hunting license or License Exempt Number (LEN) is required to hunt, and most waterfowl hunters are required to purchase a Delaware waterfowl (duck) stamp and a Federal Duck Stamp. Migratory bird hunters, except crow hunters, also need a Federal Harvest Information Program (HIP) number, which can be obtained through the DNREC ePermitting website or by calling toll free at 1-855-DEL-HUNT (1-855-335-4868). If using the DNREC ePermitting system, hunters should either create a profile or use the “Quick Hunting Registration” option.

Registered motor vehicles used to access designated wildlife areas owned or managed by the the fish and wildlife division are required to display a Conservation Access Pass (CAP). Hunters can opt to receive one free annual CAP with the purchase of any Delaware hunting license. To obtain a CAP, hunters will need the registration card for the vehicle to which the pass will be assigned.

Delaware hunting licenses, Delaware waterfowl stamps and Conservation Access Passes can be purchased online at or from hunting license agents statewide. Hunters obtaining a LEN are reminded that they should create a profile using the DNREC ePermitting system portal or obtain a LEN at a hunting license agent if they have not already done so. Federal Duck Stamps can be purchased at U.S. Post Offices, Bombay Hook and Prime Hook national wildlife refuges, and online.

Additional information on hunting seasons and wildlife areas is available in the 2021/2022 Delaware Hunting & Trapping Guide, which is available online, or by calling the Wildlife Section at (302) 739-9912. Information on hunting licenses, the state waterfowl stamp and the Conservation Access Pass is available at or by calling the Recreational Licensing office at (302) 739-9918.