Calendar of Events
The Coastal Point offers a list of events and gatherings for the Bethany Beach, South Bethany, Ocean View, Fenwick Island, Dagsboro, Frankford and Selbyville areas. If you would like to send in your non-profit event to be published in the Coastal Point, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Democrat women — The Sussex County Democrat Women’s Club meets at the Democrat Headquarters on Pine Street in Georgetown at 6 p.m. The speakers will be candidates for Sussex County Council District 5, Brad Connor and Bob Wheatley. For more information, and to RSVP, call Rhonda Tuman at (302) 604-1047, or email email@example.com.
Quarter auction — The Ladies Auxiliary of the Indian River Volunteer Fire Company is hosting a quarter paddle auction at their Main Station. Doors open at 6:15 p.m. and the games start at 7 p.m. Admission is $5 for the first paddle, and $2 for additional paddles. Refreshments will be served. To reserve tickets, or a table, call Linda at (302) 945-8430 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bake sale — Millville United Methodist Church will host a bake sale starting at 8 a.m. There will also be sales in July and August.
Tour de Har — Tour de Har, a ride for pulmonary fibrosis, will be held to raise money for The Fund for Pulmonary Fibrosis at Johns Hopkins Medicine. It is a 10.5-mile ride that leaves Lord Baltimore Elementary School at 9:30 a.m. and will end at Harpoon Hanna’s, where there will be a Chinese auction. There is a $25 registration fee.
Chicken dinner — Sound United Methodist Church will hold an all-you-can-eat chicken dinner from 3 to 6 p.m. The cost is $12 for adults and $6 for children.
Beach movies — Movies on the Beach will take place on the beach in Bethany Beach off Garfield Parkway at dusk. This week’s show is “Surf’s Up.”
Quarter auction — There will be a quarter auction at the Millsboro fire hall to raise money for Operation SEAS the Day. Doors will open at 3 p.m. and the auction will start at 4 p.m. The first paddle costs $7, and subsequent paddles cost $3. Refreshments will be served. For more information, call Patty at (302) 249-2521.
Beach movies — Movies on the Beach will take place on the beach in Bethany Beach off Garfield Parkway at dusk. This week’s show is “The Nut Job.”
VBS wilderness — Peninsula Community Church is holding a Wilderness Escape Vacation Bible School for families at 6:30 p.m. each night. There will be team-building games, songs, stories and more. For more information, call (302) 436-4522 or email email@example.com.
Basket bingo — The Ladies Auxiliary of the Indian River Volunteer Fire Company is having a Longaberger Basket Bingo at their main station. Doors open at 6 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. There will be a 50/50, Chinese auction and refreshments. Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the door. For tickets or more information, call (302) 945-8430 or (302) 856-1454.
Jewelry show — The Ocean City Marlin Club Auxiliary is hosting a Jewelry Show and Boutique from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Net proceeds will benefit the Bertha Holloway Scholarship Fund. Admission is $5, payable at the door, which entitles the participant to a glass of wine, beer or soda. Sandwiches may be purchased. For more information and directions, call Cathy Donavan at (410) 726-6117 or Dianne DeForest at (302) 541-4642.
Public bingo — The Indian River Senior Center will host public Bingo. Doors open at 6 p.m. and the game starts at 7 p.m. The Jackpot Special is $250.
Run for paws — The Delaware Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) will host a morning of fun for two- and four-legged runners alike at the 6th Annual Run for the Paws 5k and 1 mile dog walk in Dewey Beach. The race begins at 8 a.m., with same-day registration beginning at 7 a.m. For more information, visit www.delspca.org or www.seashorestriders.com.
Festival Hispano — Festival Hispano will take place at the Millsboro Little League Complex from noon to 6 p.m. This is free and open to the public, and features music, folk dances and Mexican and Latin American food. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Beach movies — Movies on the Beach will take place on the beach in Bethany Beach off Garfield Parkway at dusk. This week’s show is “Despicable Me 2.”
Art and wine — The CHEER Coastal Leisure Center will host “Art, Wine, Smile!” from 6 to 8 p.m. This will be a fun evening of painting, and CHEER will supply wine, snacks, art materials and an artist to guide you. The event is open to anyone 50 and older. The cost is $45 for members, and $55 for non-members. To reserve a spot, call Yolanda at 539-2671.
FOSCL sale — The Friends of South Coastal Library will hold its popular Summer Book Sale at the library. Hours are 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Thursday, 1 to 5 p.m. on Friday and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday. The sale includes books and materials for adults, children and teens, as well as DVDs and CDs. For more information, call 537-5661.
Craft show — Keenwick Sound’s 20th Annual Community Craft Show will take place from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., with a rain date of Sunday, Aug. 17.Crafter/vendor spaces are still available for $30 a spot. For an application, call (302) 436-1760 and leave an email address.
Ladies auxiliary — The Bethany Beach Volunteer Fire Co. Ladies Auxiliary will hold its monthly meeting. For more information, call Kristen Steele at (302) 381-8403.
- Praise and Worship Service — Millville United Church holds their Praise and Worship Service every Saturday at 6 p.m. The church is located at the corner of Atlantic Avenue and Club House Road.
- Alzheimer’s caregivers — An Alzheimer’s Association Caregiver Support Group meets on the first Thursday of each month at the Coastal Leisure CHEER Senior Center at 6 p.m. Meetings are free and open to the public. For more information, call Jamie Magee at (302) 854-9788.
- Coast Guard Auxiliary — The U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 12-2 holds monthly meetings on the third Tuesday of each month at American Legion Post 24 on Route 24 in Millsboro, at 7 p.m. Anyone 17 or older interested in promoting safe boating and participating in various programs is welcome. For more information, call (302) 934-0492.
- Storytime/Craft time — The Selbyville Public Library will host storytime and craft time for children on a weekly basis. Pre-school storytime is every Tuesday at 10 a.m. for children ages 2 to 6. Craft time for children ages 4 to 12 is every Tuesday at 4 p.m.
- Knitting Guild — The Sea Purls chapter of the Knitting Guild Association meets on the first Wednesday of each month, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the CHEER Community Center in Georgetown, at Route 9 and Sand Hill Road. Lunch is available. New members are always welcome. For more information, call Diane at (302) 228-0235.
- Guitar lessons — Those interested in learning how to play a guitar can now contact Cape Henlopen Senior Center at (302) 227-2055, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. to sign up for half-hour lessons on Tuesdays at a cost of $17.50 each. The instructor is Bob Thomas, who has a doctorate in music education.
- Bible study — Bible study with the Rev. Larry Wansaelja is offered every Tuesday at 1 p.m. at the Cape Henlopen Senior Center. All denominations are welcome. For more information, call the center at (302) 227-2055.
- Tap dancing — Beginners Tap Dancing is being offered at the Cape Henlopen Senior Center. For more information, call (302) 227-2055, Mondays through Fridays, between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- NARFE meetings — Sussex County Chapter 1690 of the National Active and Retired Federal Employees (NARFE) holds its regular meetings the second Thursday of every month (except July and August) at noon at the 1776 Steakhouse in Rehoboth. Lunch begins at noon. The cost is $17. All federal employees (retired or active), NARFE members, prospective members and guests are invited to attend. For more information, contact Linda Berwick at (302) 436-4261 or email her at email@example.com.
- Mental illness support — The National Alliance on Mental Health in Delaware (NAMI Delaware) hosts a weekly support group for people with mental illness, facilitated by those in recovery. Meetings are held in Georgetown on Tuesdays from 6 to 7:30 p.m., in the Easter Seals Building on Route 113. Family support groups meet on the fourth Thursday of each month, from 7 to 8:30 p..m. at Lewes Presbyterian Church, with parking on Franklin Street. There is no charge. Call 1-888-427-2643 for more information.
- AARP meetings — The South Coastal Chapter of AARP 5226 meets the third Tuesday of each month, except for July and August, at Cripple Creek. The luncheon is at noon, with the business meeting and program starting at 1 p.m. Membership dues are $7 per year, in addition to the national membership. For information, call Lee Shoff at 539-6952, Maureen Eisenhart at (302) 988-1196 or Janet Shroy at 537-2786.
- Railroad club — The Delaware Seaside Railroad Club meets on the second Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m. For information and location of the meeting, call Bill Mixon at 827-4278.
- Lions meetings — The Fenwick Island Lions Club meets on the first and third Monday of each month, September through June, at Harpoon Hanna’s Restaurant on Route 54. All visiting Lions and prospective members are invited to attend. For more information, call (302) 436-8216 or visit the Web site at www.filc22d.org.
- Notable books — The New York Times Notable Books book group, sponsored by the AARP, will meet on the first Thursday of each month through June at the South Coastal Library in Bethany Beach, from 10:30 a.m. to noon. No registration, fees or sign-up is required. Call Virginia at (302) 539-4969 or Anita at (302) 537-6353 for more information.
- Famly support group — The National Alliance on Mental Health in Delaware (NAMI Delaware) hosts a monthly support group for friends and loved-ones of people with mental illness. Meetings are held in Lewes on the fourthThursday of each month, from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at Lewes Presbyterian Church at 133 King’s Highway, with parking on Franklin Street. There is no charge. Call 1-888-427-2643 for more information.
- Shrimp night — American Legion Post 24 is holding Friday Night Specials, consisting of a pound of shrimp for $11. Take-outs are $11. Also available is hot wings, with French fries and cole slaw for $5; and chicken fingers, with French fries and cole slaw for $6. A side order of onion petals is available for $2.50. The specials run from 5 to 8 p.m., and karaoke will follow.
- Lioness Meeting — The Lord Baltimore Lioness Club will meet on the first Wednesday of each month at the Ocean View Presbyterian Church, 67 Central Ave. in Ocean View. The general meeting begins at 6:30 p.m. For more information, call 539-4506.
- Needlepointers — The Seashore Chapter of the American Needlepoint Guild meets the first Monday of each month from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the CHEER Community Center, at the corner of Route 9 and Sand Hill Road. For more information, call Linda at (302) 644-1523..
- Reading sessions — A reading session for the visually impaired is held each Wednesday, at the South Coastal Library, from 1 to 3 p.m. The sessions consist of articles from newspapers, magazines or short stories. The group offers support, helpful hints and friendship. Refreshments will be available during social time. Transportation, if needed, can be arranged in the Bethany Beach area. For more information, call Ceil Chodnicki at 537-7831, or Sybill Coolidge, at 537-5211.
- Bible study — Community Bible Study is offering an introductory study on Wednesday mornings in Millsboro. Lessons for children are also included. For more information, call Linda Pusey at (302) 947-9065.
- Cheesesteak dinners — American Legion Post 24, in Dagsboro, is serving cheesesteaks every Monday evening from 4 to 7 p.m. The cheesesteaks start at $5, and guests can try the new cheesesteaks with Amish sauce.
- Kiwanis meet — Kiwanis Club of Coastal Delaware meets monthly the first Wednesday at noon for lunch, and the third Thursday at 6:15 p.m. for dinner at the Rehoboth Beach Country Club. Kiwanis serves the needs of children in the coastal communities and around the world. For information, or to attend a meeting, call 537-7979.
- Christian breakfast — The Community Lutheran Church has Breakfast with Bob meetings every Thursday morning at the Country Kitchen Family Restaurant in Millsboro. The meetings are for Christian fellowship and discussion of current topics of interest. For more information, call the Community Lutheran Church at (302) 732-1156 or visit their Web site at www.clc19945.com.
- Local democrats — The 38th Representative District Democratic Party meets on the first Wednesday of each month at South Coastal Library at 7 p.m. For more information, call Eric at 537-2968 or Web at (302) 236-3208.
- Flotilla meetings — Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 12-01 holds its monthly meetings on the third Thursday of each month at 7 p.m. in South Bethany Town Hall. Boat ownership is not required and anyone age 17 and older is invited. For more information, call (610) 507-7526.
- Nautical sounds — The Nautical Sounds Men’s Chorus meets at 7 p.m. every Monday at the South Coastal Library. All men interested in singing in a barbershop format and having good fellowship are welcome to come sing with the group. For more information, call Al at 537-9440 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Agape Senior Center — The Agape Senior Center offers continental breakfast, Bible study and a noon lunch each Wednesday, starting at 9 a.m., at the Community Church of Oak Orchard, on Route 5 (Oak Orchard Road), across from the fire department. For more information, call (302) 945-0633 or (302) 947-1439.
- AAUW meetings — The Coastal-Georgetown Branch of the American Association of University Women (AAUW) hold monthly meetings on the third Thursday of each month (from September through June) at local restaurants from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Membership is open to all graduates holding at least an associate or equivalent degree or higher. For more information, call VP-membership Brenda Snyder at (302) 684-8716.
- Book club — Bethany Beach Books is looking for new members of their book club, held the third Wednesday of every month at 10 a.m. For more information, call 539-2522 or send your question via e-mail to email@example.com.
- Eastern Star — The Order of the Eastern Star - Frankford Chapter #12 meets on the second and fourth Wednesdays of every month at the Masonic Hall in Millville at 7:30 p.m. There are no meetings in July and August. For more information, call (302) 436-4409.
- In the genes — The Selbyville Public Library has a monthly genealogy discussion group that meets on the first Friday of each month at 10:30 a.m. Anyone interested in genealogy is invited to attend. For more information, call (302) 436-8195.
- Open bridge — New players are always welcomed to a bridge match at the Indian River Senior Center in Millsboro every Wednesday from 9 to 11:30 a.m.
- Coin club — The South Delaware Coin Club meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month at American Legion Post 28 at 7 p.m. For more information, call Jeff Glase at (302) 945-1827.
- Thrift shop — Frankford Presbyterian Church’s “Nearly New Thrift Shop” is open every Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. There is clothing, housewares, furniture, antiques and more.
- AOH meetings — The Ocean City Division of the Ancient Order of Hibernians meets the second Saturday of each month at the Knights of Columbus Hall (100th Street, Ocean City, Md.). Membership is open to Catholics who have Irish heritage. For more information, call Bob McCarthy at (410) 250-7821.
- Couples club — The Adults Plus Couples Club will meet for lunch on the second Thursday of each month at local restaurants. For more information, call (302) 856-5618.
- Ski Club — The Wilmington Ski Club meets on the second Wednesday of each month at the Hockessin Fire Company Memorial Hall at 7:30 p.m. Meetings are open to anyone interested in skiing, snowboarding and other outdoor activities. For more information, visit www.wilmski.com or call (302) 792-0656.
- Support group — A Brain Injury Support Group meets on the third Tuesdays of each month at the Millville Volunteer Fire Company from 1 to 3 p.m. The group is open to acquired/traumatic brain injury survivors, family, friends, caregivers and healthcare professionals. For more information, call 537-9016.
- Lions meet — The Lord Baltimore Lions Club meets on the first and third Wednesdays of each month at Magnolia’s Restaurant at 6:30 p.m. All visintg Lions and anyone interested in becoming a member should call the secretary, Lion Janet, at 537-5175. Those interested can also check the organization’s Web site at www.lordbaltimorelionsclub.com for more information. This is a service club and all funds raised go back directly into the community.
- Hospital equipment — The Lord Baltimore Lions Club continues to serve the community with the loan of medical equipment. If you know someone who needs a loan of a walker, hospital bed or crutches, call the Medical Equipment Chairman at 537-5175. For membership information, call 537-1981.
- Support group — Peninsula Community Church in Bayard will hold support group meetings for individuals who need a place to share and feel safe every Thursday night at the church from 7 to 8:30 p.m. For more information, call (302) 436-2156.
- TRIAD meetings — The Lower Sussex County Triad, a branch of the SALT (Seniors and Lawmen Together) holds meetings the third Monday of each month from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. at the Roxana CHEER Center. Meetings are free and open to the public.
- Town museum — The Bethany Beach Town Museum, located in the lobby of the Bethany Beach Town Hall, is available to the public during regular Town Hall business hours — Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Free brochures of the Bethany Beach Heritage Trail and Historical Markers are available in the museum.
- Bridge-duplicate — Bridge-Duplicate meets every Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. and every Thursday at noon at the Ocean View Presbyterian Church at noon. For information on getting a partner, lessons or just to discuss duplicate bridge, call Dini Romito at 537-5262.
- Ski club — The Salisbury Ski Club meets the second Tuesday of every month at the Knights of Columbus building in Salisbury, Md. at 7:30 p.m. For more information, call (302) 542-9400, or visit their site at www.salisburyskiclub.com.
- The Underground — The Surfer’s Fellowship will host a weekly worship movement on West Road in Ocean View. For more information, call 537-6287 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wood carvers — The Adult Plus+ Wood Carvers Club meets at Delaware Technical & Community College in Georgetown. For more information, call (302) 856-5618.
- Ecumenical praying — The Praying Partners meet at the Salt Pond Community Center on the second Monday of every month at 7 p.m. to pray for the community. For more information, call 539-2203.
- Safe driving — An AARP Safe Driving Class is offered monthly at South Coastal Library. This course provides discounts on auto insurance, and is geared for people over 50 years of age. For more information, and dates and times, call (302) 934-9727.
- Support group — A celiac support group meeting will be held on Saturdays at Good Earth Market from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. For more information, call 537-7100.
- Business support — BNI Rehoboth | Networkers meets every Thursday in Lewes for lunch. This is a group of local businesses who help each other grow. For more information, call Patti Brown at (302) 448-5047.
- Quilters group — Community Lutheran Church has a quilters group that meets every Tuesday from 9:30 a.m. to noon. All are welcome, and no experience is needed. Bring a bag lunch, and stay for the fun. For more information, call the church at (302) 732-1156.
- AA group — AA meets every Monday night in the Community Lutheran Church fellowship hall at 8 p.m. All are welcome to attend. For more information, call the church at (302) 732-1156.
- Bible study — Bible study is being held every Monday in the fellowship hall of Community Lutheran Church at noon. For more information, call the church at (302) 732-1156.
- Sons of Italy — The Sons of Italy in Ocean City, Md. is a fraternal organization accepting new members. The group meets on the first Thursday of every month at the Knights of Columbus Hall behind St. Luke’s Church in Ocean City at 7 p.m. For more information, call Rita Tindall at (410) 208-9698.
- Beach ministry — The United Methodist Churches of the greater Ocean View area have begun their annual Beach Ministry. Anyone is welcome to join in at the Campbell Place beach access in Bethany Beach on Wednesdays at 8:30 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Don Schell at 539-9077.
- Civic club — The Women’s Civic Club of Bethany Beach meets on the second Thursday of the month (excluding December, February, May-August) at South Coastal Library Refreshments are served at 9:30 a.m. and the business meeting at 10 a.m. All are welcome to attend. For more information, call Andrea at 541-4751.
- Doric Lodge — Doric Lodge No. 30 A.F. and A.M. meets at the Millville Masonic Temple on the first and third Mondays of the month at 7:30 p.m.
- Selbyville Bible Study — The Amazing Collection: Bible Study for Women will meet at Peninsula Community Church in Selbyville on Thursdays from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. For more information, call Elaine Hughes at 537-1724 or Bonnie Maull at (302) 436-5268.
- Keenwick Bible Study — The Amazing Collection: Bible Study for Women will meet at the Keenwick Sound Clubhouse on Thursdays from 10 to 11 a.m. For more information, call Sherry Deebo at (302) 436-0920.
- Georgetown Bible Study — The Amazing Collection: Bible Study for Women will meet at Cinderberry Georgetown on Mondays from 10 a.m. to noon. For more information, call Jeanne Fallon at (302) 253-0680.
- Rotary meets — The Southern Sussex Delaware Rotary Club meets each Thursday at Brandywine Assisted Living at 7:30 a.m. Guests are welcome to attend and learn more about the organization. For more information, call Brendan at (302) 858-3234 or go to their Website at www.southernsussexrotary.org.
- Poker at beach — Poker at the Beach in Rehoboth hosts charitable gaming nights for 27 different Sussex County non-profit organizations six days a week. Games include $1-$2 No Limit Texas Hold’em and Blackjack. For more information, call (302) 227-3282.
- Fit for Christ — “Get Fit for Christ” exercise classes are held at Mariner’s Bethel United Methodist Church in Ocean View. They include “Tuning Up the Temple” on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9 to 10 a.m.(These are session-based, so call Carol at (302) 829-8759 to find the details.) There are also Zumba Gold classes on Mondays at 4:30 p.m. This costs $4 a class. A new Zumba class was announced for Wednesdays from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. All classes are open to the community, and all are welcome.
- Republican women — The Sussex County Republican Women’s Club meets on the fourth Wednesday of every month (except July and August) at Baywood Greens Country Club at 10:45 a.m. The June and September meetings are held at 5:45 p.m. and dinner is served. Lunch is served at a cost of $20 ($18 if reservation is made by the Thursday prior to the meeting). Non-members are welcome. For more information, call Kelly Roberts at (302) 945-4556 or (443) 465-8441, email her at email@example.com or visit www.scrwc.net.
- Beach singles — Beach Singles 45 plus meets every Thursday for Happy Hour from 4 to 7 p.m. at Harpoon Hanna’s. For more information, call Arlene at (302) 436-9577.
- youth group — We are Zeke 37 meets on Sunday evenings from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at Salem United Methodist Church in Selbyville. For more information, visit www.sumc.com/zeke-37-youth.
- Food pantry — The Community Food Pantry will be open for food distribution on the third Saturday of every month through May, starting at 9 a.m. at Salem United Methodist Church, in Selbyville. The area covered includes south of the Indian River Inlet bridge to Fenwick Island, west to Selbyville and north to Dagsboro. A $3 donation per household is requested. For more information, call (302) 436-4118.
- Nature center — The Bethany Beach Nature Center holds youth programs every Saturday from 10:30 a.m. to noon. These includes stories, discussion and craft/activity. All ages are welcome, and the programs are free. They run rain or shine. For more information, call 537-7680.
- Samaritan thrift — Samaritan Thrift Shop, a local mission of St. Mathew’s By the Sea is located in the Williamsville Industrial Park in Selbyville, and operates Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to noon. Donations are greatly appreciated during hours of operation. Cash proceeds are donated to local agencies to help supplement hunger relief.
- Senior singles — The Senior Single Mingles Club, for single men and women 50+, meets the third Friday of each month. Come at noon for lunch, meet the members and review the group’s calendar of events. The meeting begins at 1 p.m. Membership is $10 per year. For more information, call Janice Oden at (302) 841-0117 or Kathy at 541-0711.
- Sussex stitchers — Sussex Stitchers by the Sea, a group of ladies who enjoy stitching, will meet on the fourth Monday of each month at South Coastal Library at 10 a.m. Their needlework involves various techniques — embroidery, crewel, cross-stitch, smocking, knitting, quilting, etc. All levels are welcome. For more information, call (410) 208-9386, (302) 378-4358 or (302) 893-3207.
- Emergency food — The Community Lutheran Church has an emergency food service, providing food for families in need. The church is located at Omar Road and Route 20. For more information, call the church between 9 a.m. and noon, Monday through Thursday, at (302) 732-1156.
- Community soup — The new community soup ministry, Feed my Sheep, is hosted in the Mariner’s Bethel United Methodist Church social hall every Thursday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. All are welcomed to come enjoy a bowl of soup.
- Coffeehouse worship — The Higher Grounds contemporary worship service is held each Sunday morning at St. George’s United Methodist Church at 9 a.m. All are welcome; come as you are. For more information, call Pastor Randy at 539-7040.
- Hot meal — The Compass, Ocean View Church of Christ Teen Ministry, is offering a free, hot meal every Wednesday. For more information, call 539-7468.
- Gamblers anonymous — Gamblers Anonymous meets at St. Martha’s Episcopal Church every Monday at 7 p.m. For more information, call (302) 228-3624.
- AARP book club — The South Coastal DE Chapter 5226 of AARP is presenting an AARP Book Club at the South Coastal Library on the first Thursday of every month from 10:30 a.m. to noon. All are welcome, and there is no need to sign up first. For more information, call Anita Angeny at 537-6353 or Virginia Nee at 539-4969.
- Computer classes — South Coastal Library is offering free introductory computer classes on computer basics, searching the Internet, email and Microsoft Word. The classes are offered Tuesday afternoons and Wednesday mornings. For more information, call the library at 539-5231.
- Socrates café — The Bethany Beach Christian Church is sponsoring the Socrates Café, a group of individuals from different backgrounds discussing philosophical ideas, at South Coastal Library on the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month, from 2 to 3:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome. For more information, call 537-9417 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Little Vegas — Little Vegas Sports Lounge will host charitable gaming nights for local non-profit organizations. Little Vegas is hosting freeroll tournaments every Friday and Saturday night at 7 p.m., with a $150 winner-take-all format. There is also Texas Hold’em, 7-card Stud, Omaha and more. For more information, call (302) 387-9434.
- Food addicts — Food Addicts in Recovery (FA) meets every Saturday from 9 to 10:30 a.m., and Thursdays from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at Ocean View Presbyterian Church. FA is a 12-step program for anyone suffering from food obsession, overeating, undereating or bulimia. There are no dues or fees, and visitors are welcome. In case of inclement weather, call first. For more information, call Dolly at (609) 408-1926 or Mev at (610) 223-7824, or visit www.foodaddicts.org. On Saturdays, call Penny at (302) 732-3099.
- Freewrites scheduled — The Rehoboth Beach Writers Guild is holding freewrites at various locations through the area. There is one at the Rehoboth Beach library (use the back door) on Mondays, from 9 to 11 a.m. The Lewes library holds one on Wednesdays from 6 to 7:30 p.m. The Super G in Millville’s conference room hosts a freewrite on Fridays from 9 to 11 a.m. On the third Thursday of each month, the Rehoboth Beach Art League will host a freewrite from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
- CPR Classes — The American Heart Association will offer CPR/AED, BLS and First Aid courses on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Call (302) 462-5594 for more information or to sign up.
- Marine Corps League — The First State Detachment of the Marine Corps League meets at the VFW Post 8296 in Ocean City, Md., on the fourth Wednesday of each month at 7 p.m. They are involved in local civic, patriotic and charitable events in the community and raise funds for a variety of charities, including the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund. For more information, call (302) 988-1056.
- Celebrate recovery — The River Church in Roxana is holding Celebrate Recovery every Thursday at 6 p.m. Those suffering from nearly any addiction can come learn how Christ can transform their lives. There will be dinner, worship, group learning, separate women’s and men’s groups and social time. For more information, call (302) 258-5583.
- Fried chicken — The East Sussex Moose Lodge in Roxana will offer a fried chicken special every Wednesday for members and qualified guests only.
- Nar-anon group — Nar-Anon is a worldwide fellowship for those affected by someone else’s addiction. There will be a Nar-Anon Family Group meeting at St. Mathew’s by the Sea on Wednesday nights from 6 to 7 p.m. For more information, call Donna at (610) 909-3756 or Kathy at (302) 858-2528.
- Republicans meet — The 38th District Republican Club meets the fourth Monday of the month at South Coastal Library from 6:30 to 9 p.m. The meeting is open to all and is free. Annual dues are $20. A monthly guest speaker is featured, as well as legislative updates from Rep. Ron Gray and Sen. Gerald Hocker. Light refreshments are served.
- Alumni meet — The Indian River High School Alumni Association meets the third Monday of each month at the IRHS library at 6 p.m. The group connects past students, staff, families and friends of the school. To register, or learn more about the group, visit www.IRHSalumni.com.
- Overeaters anonymous — Overeaters Anonymous is a support group that helps those who desire to stop compulsive overeating. The group meets every Monday from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. at Mariner’s Bethel United Methodist Church, in the upstairs parlor. For more information, call 537-9348..
- Spiritual book discussion — Metaphysics, spirituality and self-awareness are among the topics of book discussion groups now being offered in the area. The groups meet on Tuesdays at the Long Neck Cheer Center, 1:30-3:30 p.m.; Wednesdays at the Spiritual Learning Center in Long Neck, 7-9 p.m.; and Thursdays at the Rehoboth Beach Public Library, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. More information is available online at www.metaphysicalfoodforthought.com.
- Metaphysical bible study — A Metaphysical Bible Study is being held at the Spiritual Learning Center in Long Neck on the first and third Sundays of each month, 6-8 p.m. The class looks at what the Bible says by looking at the underlying ideas behind the words, as well as the cultural background of the times. For more information, visit www.metaphysicalfoodforthought.com.
- Al-anon — Al-Anon is a support group for the families and friends of alcoholics. Meetings are held every Tuesday, from 7 to 8 p.m., at Ocean View Presbyterian Church. For more meeting times and places, visit www.marydelalanon.org.
- Inland bays — The Inland Bays Foundation, a non-profit dedicated to cleaning the waters of Delaware’s Inland Bays, meets on the second Wednesday of each month at South Coastal Library at 4 p.m. The public is welcome to attend. For more information, call the public information coordinator at (302) 296-7800, visit them on the Facebook page or online at www.inlandbaysfoundation.org.
- Yard sale shop — Dagsboro Church of God, on Route 113, is hosting a Yard Sale Shop every Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon.
- Legion barbecue — Dagsboro American Legion Post 24 holds its weekly barbecue next to Bodie’s in Dagsboro every Saturday through Sept. 6, starting at 9 a.m. They will serve chicken or ribs, with a roll, pickle slice and chips. Soda and water are also available. For more information, call (302) 542-7244.