Dagsboro man, 21, charged over child porn


A 21-year-old Dagsboro man was again detained Tuesday after pleading not guilty in federal court to 11 counts relating to the receipt and possession of child pornography.

Officials returned an indictment on Feb. 27, charging Brad Lee Derrickson with five counts of receiving child pornography by computer and five counts of receipt of obscene depictions of children, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Wilmington. The 10 charges combined carry minimum prison sentences of five years, and a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Another charge in the indictment, possession of child pornography, carries a maximum jail sentence of 10 years and a $250,000 fine.

Derrickson’s attorney, James Liguori of the Dover-based firm Liguori, Morris and Yiengst, confirmed that the judge detained his client — who had been incarcerated since his arrest two weeks ago — because of the “nature of the (alleged) offenses.”

Liguori refused to comment directly on the substance of charges, other than to confirm that Derrickson pleaded not guilty.

“Until I look at the discovery (documents), I don’t have any comment,” Liguori said Tuesday.

According to the federal indictment, Derrickson “knowingly received and attempted to receive” videos picturing minors engaging in “explicit sexual conduct” over the computer on Jan. 2, 3, 4 10 and 13 of last year. On those same dates, the federal government alleges, Derrickson “knowingly received” videos picturing minors engaging in sexual intercourse.

Those claims make up Counts 1 through 5 and 7 through 11 in the indictment. The sixth count in the indictment alleges that on Aug. 15 of last year, Derrickson knowingly possessed a hard drive that contained images of minors engaging in real and simulated sexual intercourse and the “lascivious exhibition of the genitals and pubic area.”

The materials had been sent through the Internet, over state lines and internationally, the indictment alleges — hence the federal investigation. Attorneys filed the case in accordance with Project Safe Childhood, a program created by U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez in February of 2006, according to a press release issued last week by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Wilmington.

Federal, state and local officials collaborate on the program to identify criminals who sexually exploit children via the Internet and rescue their victims, the release stated.

“This office is committed to bringing to justice those who prey on our youth,” said U.S. Attorney Colm Connolly..