Suspects in custody in shooting death of officer

A 20-year-old Lincoln, Del., man turned himself in to authorities at 11:15 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 4, after police spent more than two days trying to locate him. Christopher Reeves was the third suspect in a Tuesday-night shooting that left one Georgetown police officer dead and another injured.

Police said Reeves had been sought for questioning related to the homicide investigation of Georgetown Patrolman Chad Spicer, who was fatally wounded Tuesday, Sept. 1.

According to the Delaware State Police, Reeves turned himself into probation and parole agents at their Georgetown office on Friday morning Sept. 4. They said Reeves was with his mother and a pastor when he arrived at the Probation and Parole Office, and he surrendered without incident.

Reeves was charged with Disregarding a Police Officer’s Signal, bail amount $50,000 cash; Resisting Arrest, bail amount $25,000 cash; and two counts of Violation of Probation, bail amount $18,000 cash. He was remanded to the Department of Correction.

The Delaware State Police Homicide Unit on Sept. 2 formally charged one of the two suspects in custody at that time, 22-year-old Derrick J. Powell of Cumberland, Md.

According to Public Information Officer Cpl. Bruce Harris with the Delaware State Police, Powell was identified as the shooter. Powell was charged with Murder 1st degree, three counts of Possession of a Firearm during the Commission of a Felony, Burglary 2nd degree, Reckless Endangering 1st degree and Resisting Arrest. He was held in lieu of $97,000 cash-only bail at James T. Vaughn Correctional Center.

The second suspect apprehended during the incident has not been charged, as police said their preliminary investigation suggested he was not directly involved with the killing of Spicer.

Services for Spicer were held on Tuesday, Sept. 8. A candlelight vigil was held on The Circle in Georgetown on Sept. 4. The first day of school for the 2009-2010 school year in the Indian River School district was postponed until Sept. 9 due to the funeral.