With the new school year having begun on Tuesday, Sept. 5, the Indian River School District is putting the finishing touches on its administration lineup. Although most of the transition was completed before July, a few new opportunities recently opened up for IR staff. Last-minute changes were made at several schools:
• At John M. Clayton Elementary, Allisa Booth stepped up to become principal. E. Bennett Murray IV will become assistant principal.
• Principal Heather Cramer switched from John M. Clayton Elementary to North Georgetown Elementary. She filled the vacancy left when Michael Rodriguez left for the Department of Education. Samantha Gordy remains the only assistant principal.
• Jenna Argo has been named an assistant principal, splitting time between Phillip C. Showell Elementary and Southern Delaware School of the Arts. She was formerly a teacher at Millsboro Middle School.
• SDSA’s Barkley Heck has stepped up to become principal.
• Travis Bower left Georgetown Elementary to become assistant principal at Lord Baltimore Elementary.
• Previously at Long Neck Elementary, Chris Costello joins Ivan Neal as assistant principals at Georgetown Elementary, both under Principal Neil Stong.
• At Long Neck Elementary, Clara Conn stepped up to become principal, while Amanda Wroten fills her spot as assistant principal.
• Georgetown Middle’s David Hudson will become principal, with Karen Oliphant leaving G.W. Carver Academy to become Georgetown Middle’s assistant principal.
• Mike Williams left Georgetown Middle to become principal at Indian River High School. The IRHS assistant principals will be Matt Keller (from Lord Baltimore) and Will Revels (from district headquarters).
• Christy Kerr will step up as acting principal at the Howard T. Ennis School while Kristina Perfetti is on personal leave. The new assistant principal is Michael Thompson.
• Melissa Kansak moved from the district office to become principal at the G.W. Carver Academy.
• The IRSD will begin advertising to hire a fourth assistant principal position at Sussex Central High School, where growing enrollment merits another administrator.
Unchanged this year were the administrators at East Millsboro Elementary, Millsboro Middle and Selbyville Middle schools.
Up-to-date contacts are listed online in the “Our Schools” section of the IRSD website, at www.IRSD.net.