IR football suffers fourth straight loss

By Bruce C. Walls
Special to the Coastal Point

Saturday, Oct. 7, may have been a happy homecoming football game for the Lake Forest Spartans, but on the Spartans’ home turf, it was also the Indian River High School football team’s fourth straight loss.

After their narrow 21-20 win over Glasgow High School back on Sept. 7, they’ve suffered losses at the hands of Polytech High School (39-21), St. Marks High School (51-13), Delmar High School (41-6) and now Lake Forest High School, 28-14.

While his team lost, for Indians sophomore LB/FB JaQuan Floyd, it wasn’t such a bad day. The 6-foot, 2-inch 200-pound Floyd crossed the goal line twice for the Indians. The Spartan offense scored on the game’s first drive, and Floyd responded by picking up a kickoff fumble and running across the goal line to tie the game 7-7.

“It felt good getting those two touchdowns,” Floyd admitted. “I just kept pushing and pushing and pushing the team. We just didn’t capitalize on winning. We’ve got to keep pushing and work hard.”

The Spartan offense threatened to score several times before getting two more TDs in the second quarter, taking a 21-7 lead into the locker room. Floyd scored again in the third quarter, but so did Lake Forest. After a scoreless final period, the game wound down to a 28-14 finish.

“We came out flat in the first half. We didn’t play assignment football, and with the type of offense they run, they’re a ground-and-pound team. They get three or four yards at a time,” said IR head coach Phillip Townsend.

“Unfortunately, we got down early and weren’t able to work our way back. The first quarter, we came out flat, and then in the second quarter … kept them from a couple of touchdowns. We’ve got to come ready to play four quarters. We just have to keep doing what we’re doing and get better at it.”

This Friday, Oct. 13, is homecoming for Indian River. At 7 p.m., they will host the Seaford High School Blue Jays, who are 0-2 in the conference and 2-2 overall, coming off punishing shutouts handed to them by Milford and Woodbridge, 0-49 and 0-56, respectively.