TOWN OF BETHANY BEACH
NOTICE OF TOWN COUNCIL ELECTION
NOTICE OF SOLICITATION FOR CANDIDATES
The Annual Election for the Town of Bethany Beach Town Council shall be held in the Bethany Beach Town Meeting Room, 214 Garfield Parkway, Bethany Beach, Delaware on Saturday, September 7, 2013, from 12:00 o’clock Noon to 6:00 p.m. prevailing time.
Three (3) Town Council Members shall be elected. At least four (4) of the seven (7) members of the Town Council must be residents of the Town, but all may be residents of the Town.
Town Council terms are for a period of two years.
Anyone wishing to file as a candidate for the election must file a written Notice of Intention (Application for Candidacy) in the Town Manager’s Office at Town Hall no later than 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, July 24, 2013.
Candidates for the Town Council must meet all of the following requirements:
1. Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age;
2. Be a U.S. Citizen;
3. Not have been convicted of a felony;
4. Shall have been, for a period of at least six months prior to the date of the election; either (a) a permanent full-time resident of the Town, or (b) a natural person holding record title to a fee simple or life estate in real property located within the Town of Bethany Beach.
5. At the time of filing a notice of intention to seek office, be a duly registered voter under the provisions of the Town Charter (Section 5.2) and Voter Registration Ordinance (Chapter 378 of the Town Code). Only natural persons are allowed to vote in Town Elections, and only natural persons who are not identified on the Town’s tax records as an owner of real estate
in the Town are required to register. Persons may register in person at the Town Hall or by mail during normal business hours except during the last 30 days before the election. Contact the Town Hall as instructed in paragraph 6 below.
6. File a written notice of intention to seek office at least forty-five days (45) days prior to the date set for the election (i.e. by Wednesday, July 24, 2013). Contact the Town Hall by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 302-537-3771 to obtain the form.
Voting and Absentee Ballots
All votes shall be made in person, or by absentee ballot. Absentee ballots can be obtained by filing an Affidavit with the Town. Affidavits are available by calling 302-537-3771 and are available on the town’s website – www.townofbethanybeach.com. Absentee ballots will not be available until after the filing deadline for candidates which is July 24, 2013.
CP 20130621 5T