Millsboro Police Beat

Millsboro woman charged in thefts from elderly

This week, Delaware State Police arrested an employee of the Brandywine Assisted Living facility located near Selbyville on charges that she had stolen money, jewelry and other items from residents there.

Between Aug. 18 and Aug. 31, the DSP had taken nine theft complaints from the Brandywine Assisted Living complex, where each victim had their own individual room and nursing assistants help maintain certain aspects of the quarters.

State troopers this week arrested Holly A. Lathbury, 24, of Millsboro on 19 total charges related to the thefts. Lathbury is alleged to have entered the rooms of nine different victims and stolen jewelry, money and various other items. The victims – whose ages range from 82 to 89, and one of whom is blind – reported items being missing from their apartment-style rooms.

State troopers said they discovered after viewing area pawn records that Lathbury and other family members had allegedly pawned items that were stolen.

Lathbury was arrested on eight counts of Burglary Second Degree, nine counts of Theft, Falsifying Business Records and Theft by False Pretense. She was released after she obtained the services of a bail bonds company on $6,450 secured bond. No additional charges had yet been filed against the others involved with pawning the stolen items, police noted this week.

Most of the items stolen had already been resold, police noted, but the DSP did recover a few items.

Police seek suspect in AmVets robbery

Delaware State Police this week were attempting to identify the suspect in the burglary of AmVets Post 2 near Millsboro on Friday, Sept. 10.

Police said that, during the burglary, which occurred 3:22 a.m. that Friday morning, an unknown white man entered the building after prying open a window. Once the suspect entered the building, he pulled his shirt over his head concealing his identity, they noted.

State troopers obtained photos of the suspect rummaging through a filing cabinet in the office. They said the suspect stole an undisclosed amount of money and fled the scene.

The DSP is seeking the public’s help in identifying the suspect shown in the photos. He was described as a white man, between 25 and 35 years old, wearing black pants, a black belt, a red or orange short-sleeved shirt and a red or orange baseball cap.

Anyone with information concerning the suspect or burglary investigation is being asked to contact police. Callers may remain anonymous. Tips may also be forwarded to law enforcement through tip lines maintained by Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-3333 or online at

Millsboro man held on kidnapping, assault

Delaware State Police last week arrested a 37-year-old Millsboro man on charges that he had kidnapped and assaulted a 30-year-old Lewes woman on Saturday, Sept. 18, just after midnight.

Police said Robert A. Farris and the Lewes woman were former acquaintances and were both at a Millsboro establishment when Farris became angered over perceived advances from another man toward the woman.

According to the DSP, the victim and Farris left the Millsboro establishment and began walking to the victim’s car, when she decided to call for a taxi. Farris, they said, then allegedly grabbed the victim by the hair and forced her into her vehicle.

The victim, fearing for her safety, they reported, drove away with Farris, who was seated in the passenger seat, yelling profanities at her.
When the victim turned off of Route 23 and onto Route 5, near Lewes, police said, Farris allegedly began striking the victim on the head and body with his hands. At one point, they said, Farris allegedly grabbed the victim around the neck and began to choke her and pull on her hair.

The victim eventually was able to pull to the side of the roadway and flee from Farris, according to the DSP. The victim then flagged down a passing motorist, who called 911.

Farris was arrested and charged with Kidnapping Second Degree, Strangulation, Assault Third Degree, Terroristic Threatening and Attempted Malicious Interference in Emergency Communication. He was remanded to Sussex Correctional Institute on $44,000 secured bond.