The staff of the South Coastal Library is inviting teens to participate in their 2016 Summer Reading Program, with sign-up now under way.
Participants in the summer reading program for those ages 12 to 18, “Get in the Game,” can read anything of their choice (at their reading level) for a total of 1,000 pages, and complete a brief book review for each title they read. Once they’ve read 1,000 pages and completed their reviews, they will earn prizes, including a $10 Tanger Outlets gift card, a T-shirt, a book and a certificate.
Summer Reading Program events and other offerings for teens and tweens at the library this summer will kick off June 22, 5:30-7:30 p.m., with the Teen Summer Reading Program Kick-Off Party, featuring music, Wii, games, pizza and a treasure hunt, courtesy of the Friends of the South Coastal Library, Grotto Pizza and Giant Foods of Millville, for ages 12-18, pre-registration required.
Artists ages 12-18 can enter their original 2D and 3D art work in the 8th Annual Art Show. Prizes will be awarded to the artists of the three best overall entries within junior and senior divisions, selected by local artists. First prize is a $50 gift card to Michael’s craft store. The entry deadline is July 9, before 3 p.m. Prizes will be awarded at the opening on July 20 at 7 p.m. Pick up an entry form at the library, or visit www.southcoastal.lib.de.us/teens.
Craft time for ages 10-18 will be offered on July 5, 3-4 p.m., when participants can create a colorful mandala suncatcher; and on Aug. 9, 3-4:30 p.m., when they paint and decorate a shadowbox frame. All craft materials are provided free of charge. Pre-registration is required. (Wear “craft” clothing that you don’t mind getting stained!)
Those looking for the “games” part of “fun and games” will be offered events throughout the summer:
• June 16, 3 to 4:30 p.m. — Minecraft, with a round of the computer game for ages 10-16.
• June 28, 3:30-5 p.m. — Get in the Game! (indoor sports team games for ages 10-18).
• July 6, 6-7:30 p.m. — T3-Team Teen Jeopardy, (team up with your friends and make new ones as you test your trivia skills), for ages 12-18.
• July 12, 12:30-2 p.m. — Get in the Game! (indoor sports team games for ages 10-18).
• July 13, 6-7:30 p.m. — T3-Team Teen Jeopardy: (team up with your friends and make new ones as you test your trivia skills), for ages 12-18.
• July 19, 3-4:30 p.m. — Minecraft, with a round of the computer game for ages 10-16.
• Aug. 3, 6-7:30 p.m. — T3-Team Teen Jeopardy (team up with your friends and make new ones as you test your trivia skills), for ages 12-18.
• Aug. 10, 6-7:30 p.m. — T3-Team Teen Jeopardy (team up with your friends and make new ones as you test your trivia skills), for ages 12-18.
• Aug. 11, 3-4:30 p.m. — Minecraft, with a round of the computer game for ages 10-16.
Workshops being offered include:
• June 23, 4-7 p.m. — Personal Safety & Self-Defense Workshop: Learn how to avoid being a crime victim, and how to defend yourself using martial arts in this class for ages 12-18, taught by three black-belt instructors from Coastal Martial Arts.
• July 7, 6-7 p.m. — Skimboarding Workshop: Professional skimboarders Dave and Tom Bracht of RELYance Skim Camp will get you ready for the surf with “dry land” instruction for ages 12-18.
• Aug. 2, 4:30-6 p.m.: Hip Hop Dance Workshop: Learn some breakdance moves with the members of Hip Hop Fundamentals, a professional dance troupe from Philadelphia, for ages 10-18, no experience necessary.
The library will offer free movies, popcorn and ice cream on:
• June 30, 3-5 p.m. (a neighborhood baseball comedy, rated PG, 101 minutes)
• July 14, 3:30-4:15 p.m. (an Olympic comedy on ice, rated PG, 102 minutes)
• Aug. 4, 3:30-5:15 p.m. (an anime film)
The library’s Book Swap Picnic for ages 12-18 will take place July 23 from noon to 1:30 p.m., with attendees talking about their favorite books over lunch in the library’s Reading Garden. Bring a lunch, a beach chair and a book to swap with someone else (the book swap is optional).
Reading programs and special events are available for children and adults as well, all free of charge. Visit the South Coastal Library at 43 Kent Avenue, Bethany Beach, for a brochure. Programs are made possible by the South Coastal Library and the Friends of the South Coastal Library.
For more information, call (302) 539-5231 or visit www.southcoastal.lib.de.us.